Please note that our application is undergoing annual updates and will be available in August. Below are our essays for Fall 2016.
Our Stern essay questions give you the opportunity to more fully present yourself to the Admissions Committee and to provide insight into your experiences, goals and thought processes.
Please note the following details when completing your essays.
- All written essays must be typed and submitted using the standard U.S. 8 1/2” x 11” format, double-spaced, in 12-point font.
- Word limits apply to the total question. For example, your response to Essay 1 should answer all parts of the question with a total maximum of 750 words.
- Label the top of each essay with the following: Name, Date of Birth (month, day, year), Essay Number and Page Number (e.g.: Joe Applicant, January 1, 1988, Essay 1, Page 1).
- Your essays should be written entirely by you. An offer of admission will be revoked if you did not write your essays.
Essay 1: Professional Aspirations(750 word maximum, double-spaced, 12-point font)
- Why pursue an MBA (or dual degree) at this point in your life?
- What actions have you taken to determine that Stern is the best fit for your MBA experience?
- What do you see yourself doing professionally upon graduation?
Essay 2: Personal Expression
Please describe yourself to your MBA classmates. You may use almost any method to convey your message (e.g. words, illustrations). Feel free to be creative.
If you submit a non-written piece for this essay (i.e., artwork or multimedia) or if you submit this essay via mail, please upload a brief description of your submission with your online application.
Please note the following guidelines and restrictions:
- Your submission becomes the property of NYU Stern and cannot be returned for any reason.
- If you submit a written essay, it should be 500 words maximum, double-spaced, 12-point font.
- If you submit a video or audio file, it should be five minutes maximum. NYU Stern accepts most common video formats.
- The Admissions Committee reserves the right to request an alternate essay if we are unable to view your submission.
- Do not submit anything perishable (e.g. food), or any item that has been worn (e.g. clothing).
- Mailed materials must be postmarked by the application deadline date. Please follow our mail and labeling instructions.